Monday, September 7, 2009

New Digs!

Here's a few pics of the house and the yard...we'll send more later, but at least you can see our favorite hang outs! I took these with my cell phone, so they may not be great. But its what you get. We moved and its quite possible my camera didn't. Or at least it hid when it moved with us.

Here's the front room - complete with Taylor trying to look like he was doing his job, and that is an optical illusion...I'm going to have to find out from Sherri how she shined up the stone in her fireplace, but not till I have a beach vaca planned...I understand it is very stinky.


This is the back yard view from the master deck upstairs. You can kind of see the pool back there--really the whole reason for the house "being" as far as the little kids are concerned. This tree is over 350 years old! The things it has seen! It gives me a new appreciation for the settlers, though. They slept out in the elements. There are a lot of creepie crawlies around here and I have great respect for anyone sleeping out on the ground. There is a swing in the tree that reminds me of the one we had in Darby. I am looking forward to the grass being destroyed under the swing....




This is the view from the master deck. It is much prettier than my phone took. Notice how brown the grass is, though...ten year drought in Texas. As bad as the dust bowls in the 30's. Still lots of green trees. I can see the sunrise from my bedroom window in the morning. I love that! Also notice the spiral stairs laying on the ground. They used to go to my deck. We have kids. I don't think so! Stairs are going bye-bye.







This screen porch is off of the kitchen. It's kind of a dark picture, but we spent all morning scrubbing the floor so it can be stained. We'll need to do quite a bit of work in there, but we are turning it into another family space--ceiling fans, tv, game tables, the works. We spend a lot of time out here in the evening and its one of our favorite places. The poor puppy will be quiet disappointed in a few days. The screen that is ripped is being replaced and his "doggy door" will be no more.






Part of the kitchen...love the skylight...window looks into the screen porch. To the left is another window over the sink that has a bird feeder and so far, we have seen about 15-20 different types of birds. Some really great ones! We can hardly wait to get my Dad's bird feeder up! We waited to put it up here where it will stay. Poor Mike. He's trying to clean up garbage and I want him to put up my bird feeder....it's really such a shame that he didn't marry someone more practical. I'll have to give him a heads up for the next time.







Garbage out front...we included this one so that in a few months everyone will say "Wow! You've done a lot with the place!"






Please note the construction debris everywhere...that's not ours...just wanted to make sure that everyone knew my kids had not trashed the place already. The poor people that lived here before had to rebuild two porches at almost the last minute due to dry rot....I could have saved them the trouble since I am moving in and dry rot is my official medical diagnosis.








7 comments:

Rachel said...

Yea! You finally put up photos. It will be fun to see the "after" photos as you continue to work on the place.

Alexandria Rammell said...

I want to see the sage paint you did!

Mom Sangster said...

Looks like a great place -- I hope you continue to be very happy there. It's exciting to be working on something permanent for your family again. Keep the pictures coming!

Sarah Tolman said...

I'm so happy for you! I'm still looking for my place in the world.

kwbd Jones said...

Looks like a great place. We are very happy for you and your family. Nice to feel settled again! Good luck, you will make the place look great!

L J Perotto said...

Mom, it looks great! Just cleaning it has made a HUGE difference. I imagine it would be something like emptying grandma's house, cleaning it, and putting the same furniture back and nothing else. And that's saying something. I can't wait to see it all finished! I'm very excited for you! Lots of love,
Lauren

Virginia said...

Looks great!!! Thanks for putting up fotos. I'd put up some of mine, but I can't see the kids or the floor. I keep telling myself I must clean one of these days, but on the other hand, as long I don't look down . . . . I don't see anything!!!